Sunday, August 07, 2011

Job Done (for this year), Borrowdale 2011

Saturday's effort produced a finish time of 5:36:55, only an hour quicker than Wasdale, but I made it, phew!

The 'West Pennine' contingent were parked side by side in the NT car-park. Runners Albert, Ian, Tony and Mark (and TF) and support crew NLN who was joined by SN.

I procured some split times off the fell-runner forum to meet the Honister cut-off, these being BB 0:50mins, EH 1:48, SP2:22, SH2:57, GG3:32, H4:19, DH4:53 Finish5:37. So off we set. First stop, after 200ms on track due to bottle-neck, 2nd stop after 10mins for comfort break and to remove cag. Finally got to the first climb, and hurray I could get stuck in and felt the race was on.

I was 2mins down on the splits at BB, but gained 30 secs by Esk Hause. Mark had caught and passed me part way between the two but did stop and wait for me at one stage, but only to point out that the lead runners were already on Gable, what I would give for a faster pair of legs!

Bit of slippage up to Scafell Pike 2:26, so I had to do the scree run. Cor, it was fun at walking pace. Like that moving escalator at Manchester Airport, only you're at 45 degrees and no suitcases to negotiate. All the recceing on the corridor route paid off and managed to pick the grassy trod, shame I did most of it on my backside. Styhead was reached in 3:00, a minute back. Now the challenge up Gable, could I do it 30 mins, well not quite, but 32mins is pretty close. I passed Tony on the way up, he stepped aside and allowed me to pass, saying he was saving himself for a sprint finish.

Good visibilty on Gable meant I was able to follow others on the grassy descent to Windy Gap, where I managed a brief 'hello' with NLN and SN. Green Gable and Brandreth skirted, I hit the style spot on, no running round in circles this day. I had just under 30 mins to get down to Honister, managed it in less and cleared the cp in 4:19. Three cups of water later, began the climb up to Dale Head. Another bum slide down to the tarn and onto the final stretch. A helpful walker pointed out that the others 'all went that way' meaning the path veering off the the right towards the disused climbers hut, but as there was no one in sight and my race map suggested the path alongside tongue gill, I stuck with tongue gill. Having not recced this section, I can now see why an alternative route was found, it was awful. Having got to the gate where the flag section starts, the 'alternative' path emerged from the right. Can't even print a polite version of my thoughts at this point!

It felt a long trundle into the finish, number 300 with a promise of a 'spot prize' if you attend the prize giving. I think Scoffer had not got his full shopping list, as no spot prize materialized. But never mind, I'll treat myself to the new head torch that I promised myself if I got round.

I think this race is still a 'work in progress'. Still lots of bits of route choice where I can improve to shave a few more minutes off. If I'm being honest I found this a harder race than Wasdale, technically it was more challenging and needed a lot more concentration. So will have to have another go next year.

What of the others. Well Albert (4:07:31) and Ian (5:07:54) finished, Tony and Mark retired, Tony was struck down with cramp just after Great Gable and was caught up by Mark who had reached the summit in 4hrs, and then 'ran' in together to Honister. They were cheeky enough to say 'what kept you' when I got back to the car.

Full results are on the Borrowdale web site http://www.borrowdale-fell-runners.org.uk/

Pictures on http://www.sportsunday.co.uk/

TF

No comments: