Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chunal Fell Race 4m/1200ft Weds 24th Aug
(report delayed due to waiting for results)

Things are a bit relaxed for Des's races, including the start time. Waiting for the latecomers, allowed the rest us chance to munch from the hedgerow, a nice juicy selection of blackberries. Took our mind of the fact we were getting soaked to the skin.

The pre-race fuelling didn't aid effort up the first hill. Kept looking round to see how many were behind and dismayed to find no-one. Couldn't believe after all the training I'd done this year that I could be last in a race, especially one such an innocuous as this. One of the marshal's acknowledged I'd done Sedbergh a few days before, didn't make me feel any better though.

But lady luck was smiling. A short, steep down and up at the mid-point of the course worked in my favour and I passed three that were moving, and one that was lying prostrate (cramp). Had to work hard to keep them behind me, well except the one that got a lift back in a car.

So annoying to find I'm the last name on the results, followed by a '?'. Probably not as annoyed as the one's behind me who didn't get a mention for all their efforts.

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/results/race11/chunal_11.pdf

TF

No comments: