Sunday, August 14, 2011

Boulsworth Fell Race (7.5m/1400ft) Sun 14th Aug

Debated whether I'd post a report for this one as I appear 'incognito' on the the results. I learnt very early on in my racing career that having an unusual surname meant block capitals on the entry form if I was to receive true recognition of my efforts. So don't know how that got translated as 'Laycock' today, but it did!

I'd fully intended on a more gentle Sunday run with the 'salford girls', but the one whose house we meet at was minding the grandkids, so wasn't running. The choice was run on my own, a 10k or a fell race. Easy decision, seeming as though it meant I could call in at Boundary Mill in Colne on the way home and get a bit of shopping in too.

The race is part of the entertainment on offer at the Trawden and District Agricultural Show. The start line was away from the show field and whilst waiting for the off, we could hear over the tannoy the running commentary of the battle that Elvis and Chico were having in their own race. Sounded like Chico 'shaved' it at the end. Should mention that Elvis and Chico are Welsh Llamas.

Anyway, back to the fell race. Took a bit of getting to the 'fell' bit of the race, though to be fair it did mention 'some tarmac, track, bridleway, fell and mud', but had hoped they wouldn't be in quite so equal proportions. Great support by the marshals enroute, picked up a couple of places on the return section but can't say it was a sparkling performance.

Passed Elvis and Chico on my way to the finish line on the show field, they didn't look any the worse for wear after their efforts, I however felt decidedly knackered and looked like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards.

Results http://www.ukresults.net/2011/boulsworth.html

Need to get my speed legs back, so need to pick a few shorter ones, probably starting with 'Golf Ball' on Wednesday. Details in the FRA calendar, any other takers?

TF

ps turns out that Elvis's and Chico's appearance fee is a whopping £1250 a day, a bit more about them here http://blackrockllamas.co.uk/. Definitely in the wrong game!

No comments: