Thursday, August 18, 2011

Golf Ball 5.5m/800ft Weds 17th Aug

Who nicked the gate? Could have sworn that the last time I did this we queued on the track before getting to the grassy bit, as it was we had to run a further 200m before getting a rest at the kissing gate. A lot of heavy breathing going on here, but all completely innocent.

I was beginning to think that I'd wished I'd got stuck in the traffic in Rawtenstall for longer and missed the start. As it was they'd delayed the start by a good 20-25mins because of the chaos a set of roadworks were causing in the town centre. Once on the top the lowering sun made it tricky to see where you were putting feet, so it was a relief to turn the corner and have it behind you. Then some boggy bits to negotiate on top of Great Hameldon, a drop and run through the old quarry before hitting the 2nd climb in the race. I don't remember seeing the Golf Ball thingy, for which the race is named after, as I was concentrating on my downhill running and keeping hold of the few places I gained through the quarries.

I nearly lost a shoe on the run in through the last boggy section, would have left it there and gone back for it later had it completely come off, but it stayed put and remained on until the finish.

A disappointing 63:24, only 3 minutes quicker than 2007. I have to take some solace in the fact that none of the runners completing Sunday's race finished in front of me, and some of the one's that did weren't as far in front. But then it was a shorter race.

Results http://www.rossendaleharriers.co.uk/results/golf%20ball%202011.docx
Link for map of route http://www.racemaps.org.uk/golfball.htm

Overall feeling: need to do better

TF

No comments: