Thursday, September 09, 2010

Neigh, Lass, not in my field

On what I hope was the first of many outings to recce the Pennine Way in preparation for my 70@70 attempt from Gargrave to Edale, next year, TF and myself had a very worthwile look at the route from Thornton in Craven to Cowling on Tuesday.


Heavy showers had been forecast but never materialised and with TF in charge of map reading and wall height checking we made good progress over Pinhaw Beacon, through Lothersdale and on to Cowling from where we retraced out steps.

The only problem we encountered was an aggressive horse that did not want us in its field, to the extent of attempting actual physical assault on TF first with but with the head and then wading in with its shoulder. There was no lasting damage to body but soul was embarrassed to have to make a hasty retreat.

Fortunately there was an easy alternative route which we took and determined that here was a job for Equine Lady to work her charms come next year's attempt. There's never a horseperson around when you need one!

The out and back course gave us 14.5 miles which we covered in 4hrs 22mins (18.1 mins per mile) and total ascent was just over 3000ft.

My attempt next year will be on the Saturday of the Spring Bank Holiday (May 28th) and I would be obliged if any potential helpers could mark this date in their diaries.

Snowdonia Marathon

In preparation for the Snowdonia Marathon I shall be forsaking the fells in order to improve my tarmac performance, starting with a lap of the Old Bolton 40 course this coming Saturday (Sept 11th). I shall be UTUPing, but wearing road shoes.

No comments: