Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pole Dancing or What?

In these days of high technology and my increasing dependence on a (twice) daily internet fix, it was a bit of a shock to my system when a patch of black ice and an out of control Peugeot contrived to cut me off, not only from my telephone land line, but also from the internet.

Yesterday morning the car in question had gone out of control outside Watters' place, slid along the stone wall and then was brought to a halt by a good old wooden telegraph pole, right outside my front window. The pole moved slightly and in doing so had disconnected the BT wires serving all the houses in our terrace. Fortunately the driver was unhurt and didn't even seemed shaken up.

Subsequent discussions with BT resulted in them mobilising the "pole" team, who turned out and declared that a new pole was needed. This was due today, and as I write (from work) it could all now be sorted. But I can't tell, because the missus is out, and despite the disconnected wires the system was still taking messages on the BT 1571 facility, so when I ring and get the "leave a message" message I don't know whether it's because there's no-one in, or because the wires are still dangling.

Isn't life difficult?

EtU (unconnected that is)

No comments: