Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lyth and damn Lyth

The LDWA That's Lyth event is always a good run, well organised and with a testing, interesting and scenic route. So it was a great pity that I did not rise to the occasion, especially as the forecast snow did not materialise. In truth I was just not prepared physically for 23.5 miles with a fair degree of tough climbing. The weather was probably the best I have experienced on that event and the going just about the muddiest.

Fortunately, aided by a two day programme of drug taking (ibuprofen) the sciatica problem was kept at bay for the first half, not materialising until the second checkpoint at Witherslack. Progress up to that point had been steady, if slow and already I was six minutes behind my schedule when FSS marshalling at the first check point came in to view.

From there the route went over Whitbarrow Scar where an alternative descent is available for use in bad weather. I decided to recce the alternative for future reference and a GPS check later showed it to be only a quarter of a mile further. Two runners who were behind me, but within sight, at the start of the detour were just ahead of me when the routes merged. As they later proved to be much better descenders I cannot claim to have lost much time by my change of route. The dilemma is which to use next year. It was certainly a much safer way down the escarpment.

From 14 miles onwards the sciatica problem increased but was not wholly responsible for the slow pace. It just made for a painful drive home.

The final checkpoint at Cinderbarrow was well served as charmingly as ever by NLN. By that time the run was a dead cause and no amount of tea and biscuits was going to resussitate the deteriorating runner.

The final time of 5 hr 6 min was nearly 40 minutes slower than last year and 30 minutes slower that my previous worst. Not much prospect of good run at Anglezarke, another PW being likely.

And so to next Saturday's Anglezarke recce. I will be at Belmont at the appointed time. If we are to beat last year's time we will need to be back at the cars inside 3 hr 35 min.

No comments: