Monday, January 26, 2009

Flying the flag at the Northerns (XC)
I'd looked at the entry list in advanced and noticed the absence of both TF and YJ so knew I would be the only one from the group making the trip to St. Helens. Had to do the shopping so rushed off to Tesco at 9 o'clock with the unusual sight of Mr Charters running down our road - yes road!
Anyway got back and along with J and Parker (the current hound), headed off hoping to get there in time to watch the ladeez racing. Just made it as they were into the first lap, all ready to cheer on the big club contingent and of course, duaghter Diane who had travelled directly from York. Gave a cheer to Denise Wakefield - didn't recognise the vest but sure it was her, then Audrey Foster came past, wearing the colours of Northern Vets, and then doing quite wel came Diane, in her new colours of Saltwell Harriers but no red and black chevrons to be seen. Cheered Diane an as she took a couple of places finishing strongly, only 20 seconds adrift of Audrey. Diane's target was sub 50, making up the team - she almost broke 40 and was their second counter. Okay they were the last complete team, but they finished a team!
Plenty of time now time to find my clubmates and get my number from Pete or whoever had collected them. Had a wander round the tent village - got to 30 minutes before the start time so went to the tannoy van where they put a call out - after 10 minutes of nobody turning up, Diane suggested she went to the leisure centre whilst I hung around the van in case someone turned up. Diane returned with the numbers to Billy No-mates. So at 10 minutes before the start I appeared to be the sole representative of this proud club. Aha but where's Bazza - true to form he turns up - Diane had returned the numbers to the leisure centre - so hotfoots to get his and just makes the start lane. He beats but is lucky not to be dq'd, having mislaid his vest.

As you may have noticed I've not been doing much running of late, but was still happy with my performance, think I beat a few more than last year. I think the course was short - 12k in 58:03 is not much slower than my road pace - and it was very muddy with the odd hill.
But hope to be out Tuesday and Thursday this week as my TT match is on Wednesday (results are on the bolton tt site as well as in the BEN for anyone with time on their hands) and the Amble recce sounds like a good idea for next Saturday if I can get a pass out before probably going to the Galpharm.

Thought I may have seen you in T&T on Saturday, but some reasn you wer in the Bob Smithy!

No comments: