Sunday, January 25, 2009

Fourteen Months Later

It was 12th November 2007 when I wrote my last review on the Black Horse at Limbrick, shortly after it had re-opened as an Italian style gastro-pub. Not many months after, it had closed again, the new proprietors having "done a runner" according to folk at the Adlington Bay Horse.

Then, last week, I was informed by our roving reporter, TF (nice pics, shame about the opening time) that it was to re-open on Friday 23rd January. So, not being one to miss an occasion, there I was, complete with the Old Speckled Hen, the youngest daughter Meredith, Dean ( 25% of our World Silver Medal winning sleeper carrying squad) and Henry, the youngest grandson, peering through the window, at ten past six, only to see the new landlord, paintbrush in hand, behind the locked door. I pointed to my watch and he mouthed "seven o'clock".

Not being one to wait 50 minutes for a drink, I dragged the team off to the TaT to slake our thirsts. Saturday evening is, for some reason that I don't understand, Bob's Smithy, so it wasn't until tonight that we were back in Limbrick (sans youngsters).

This time it was open, and the new licensee (who could pass for a slightly butch Matt Lucas in a poor light), last seen in the Newhall Tavern at Salmesbury, now without paintbrush, was obviously keen to please. He seemed to have brought both his team and his menu with him, and the pub has reverted back to a more traditional British theme. The menu looked sensible and reasonably priced and the chips looked good. We didn't eat, but the beer (I tried the Ansells) was good and was priced at £2.50, which seems to be fairly standard locally.

It's good to see a pub reverting to a traditional style and I wish them well. Perhaps someone else could give it a try and offer a view on its suitability for the Vernal Equinox gathering.

No comments: