Thursday, January 29, 2009

New Post Has Arrived...

...but unlike the Peugeot, things didn't stop there. Got home last night to find the phone working, but no 1571 facility, even though it had taken a message from me earlier (more of this later). Apart from that, all seemed well until I logged on for my internet fix at about 10:00 pm, to find I had no connection. Tried all the usual stuff, unplug, reset etc, but to no avail. Rang a lady in India who had me doing all the same stuff again, and then some other things, but still no access. She said she'd ring me back, but she didn't (another clue here).

Rang India again and spoke to guy with an even stronger accent (I'm not racist, but [there's always a 'but'] if folk are going to be given help desk jobs, we at least ought to be able to understand what they say ~ also applies to doctors). However, accent or no accent, he latched onto the answer. He spotted that the number that I said I was ringing from wasn't the one showing on his screen ~ a little thought lead me to the conclusion that the pole man had wired me up to someone else's connection. Hence no email, no 1571 and no return call from the earlier lady!

They fixed it this morning, but I won't know whether I've got www access until this evening ~ I do hope so, as I've got a tax return to get in before midnight Saturday.

It goes to show that a bit of English frost, a French car and a pole can really play havoc with high technology ~ anyone got a carrier pigeon?

No comments: