Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Spin Class

This is an indoor group cycling class using a sationary bike like this.





The bike has a lever to adjust the tension of the pedals but no brake. It will normally have a small display panel which tells you how far you've pedalled, how many calories burned, what RPM you're doing and what 'gear' (tension on pedals) you're in. Most have clips to keep your feet in place when going really fast.

The difference to a normal exercise bike is that they are more mobile and can be moved in and out of the exercise studio, or more importantly moved into positition under the AC vent if you get to the class early enough. The class instructor shouts (over load music) the 'gear' and 'rpm' you need to be going at. Most classes last for 45mins - 1hr.

In affect this is my winter training for summer cycling. I'm not very good at the very fast stuff, but definitely feeling the benefits of the resistance work when you stand up on pedals, hence the reason why I feel it helps my hill climbing. I'm using it as an adjunct to my running sessions. So Monday evenings now involve 3m run (with 3 x 1K reps) to warm up, 45 min spin class, followed by 1hr circuit training. Did the circuit training for the first time last night and really enjoyed it (probably 'cos I was on the easy options when instructor wasn't looking!), so will be back for more. I also do another spin class on Friday evening which is a 'rest' day from running along with some weights in the gym.

TF

No comments: