Monday, March 23, 2015

Two Crosses LDWA event Sunday 22 March 2015

I cannot believe how lucky I have been with the weather each time I have entered this event and this year was no exception.  After a great start to the weekend with JtE's bash in wonderful company I thought this would be  a good way to close the weekend on one of my favourite routes.

For those who don't know it, it is basically a trail run for the runners starting from Tottington over the ridge and down to Jumbles reservoir.  A climb out of the Jumbles valley up to Turton Tower then a track run to the split point where the 17 mile route separates from the 25mile route.  I took the 25 mile option even though my lower back was creasing me.  So for us it was back up Turton Heights to follow the foot path to the road crossing of the devil's highway ( A666) before skirting round Turton Moor on the Witton Weavers Way.  The stretch above Belmont to Tockholes was wonderful with the sound from what looked like thousands of gulls on the island in Belmont Reservoir.

Over the top of the south end of Darwen moor before descending down the mile long re-entrant to Turton and Entwistle reservoir.  Again the views where just fantastic with a fresh cool breeze and the sun on your face it doesn't get much better than this.  I must admit to hating the flat bits on this event and none more so than the flat track around the reservoir before you hit the main halfway check point with a huge array of food and drink.

Setting off again full of cake and tea towards the Strawberry Duck then onwards towards Bull Hill, the latter part always being wet and boggy but not as deep this year.  They even put markers across the boggy part to hit the perimeter path round Bull Hill.  The organisers always want to ply you with alcohol at this check point - its nearly as bad as the Paris marathon!

My favourite section is next with the trot across the moor from Bull Hill to Peel Tower, again it never fails to disappoint with great views 360 degrees and lovely soft terrain to run on..

Heading down the rocky track from the tower I had a bit of a fall, which injured my right leg.  A lot of pain below the knee on the right side but knee and ankle still seemed to function.  It was an extremely painful descent to the bottom going in reverse most of the way, as I couldn't seem to put an weight on it.  A lot of concerned help was offered but in true Latham bolshey attitude; all kindly refused.  The last control was 3/4 of a mile from my fall and it hurt all the way.  At the control they suggested that I drop out but the thought of waiting round for 2-3 hours for lift did nothing to lift my spirits so I hobbled off to do the lat 1 3/4 miles to the finish to collect my badge for attending and finishing the 30th 2 Xs'.

The last long flat bit is along the old railway line to the finish is usually when my calves are screaming at me to find some contours to run on to ease the flat repetition.  On this occasion it was a blessing to have somewhere to hobble in relative comfort.

Finish, badge , certificate, some great food, tea and banter with TM + friend, the Injured Josie Jangles and Albert.

Hospital today,  X-ray showed a break in my Fibula below my right knee, strangely on one of the thickest areas of the bone knuckle.  A lot more pain today, huge swelling and probably an impressive bruise to follow.  So off work for a week or more (actually working from home - hard task masters my outfit!).  No plaster yet but have to wait for the fractures clinic for a final decision.  Looks like I will be missing the Orienteering Festival over Easter and running with JtE on the Pike Race but I will be there, to cheer him in.  Also I will be missing the next RAB mini mountain Marathon.  So well and truly gutted!  On the upside - I did the challenge and got my badge. Adrenaline and testosterone is a toxic mix at times!!!
Happy running everyone.

4 comments:

John the Elder said...

Very sorry to read what you say Kev. Let's hope that the healing process goes well and that your good company can be enjoyed again on the fells before too long

KLM said...

Thanks John. I hope so as well. Looks like I'm following in your footsteps - if you pardon the pun.
I'm still glad I did the event, it is one of my favourites.

Anonymous said...

Well done for finishing - very bad new, hope the pain retreats soon :(

Unknown said...

Bad luck Kev. You did tremendously well to finish. With that attitude you'll soon be orienteering and running again