Sunday, March 22, 2015

My 80th Birthday Do.

I am so overwhelmed by the events of last Friday evening that I don’t know quite where to start this posting. I was amazed to see the number of people in attendance and it made me realize just how lucky I have been in being a member of the gang, so to speak. My running has always been for the sake of fitness and even more so, being involved with so many good people who have become my friends.

I think it would be appropriate first of all to thank Ed ( I hope you don’t mind me using actual names in this blog) for making the event happen in the first place. He approached me about a month ago to agree upon a venue and I can imagine the effort that then went in, in contacting so many people and arranging things with Rivington View. Many thanks Ed.

Then there is Chris who so eloquently spoke after the meal. The words spoken were so kind and I was quite overwhelmed by their kindness and generosity. They were spoken by a true friend and that means everything to me.

Pauline and Ian had organized, on behalf of all of you, my superb birthday present; a beautiful photograph and a cup embossed with a photograph of me. The picture is taken from the route from Noon Hill to the Pike; an area I love to traverse. It is of the fine quality we have come to expect from Pauline and it catches the unique cotton grass typical of our fells and a glorious sky all enhanced by the evening light. Many thanks to you both for the picture and also for arranging the mounting of the picture in such an attractive manner. A tremendous effort in all of this which is greatly appreciated. The picture is now in its resting place and I attach a photo of this.

After the presentation there was the cake enhanced or otherwise you might say, with a picture of me. Regardless of the picture it was a wonderfully presented piece of confectionery and complete with, I think, eight lighted candles. I understand that there were difficulties achieving this presentation because of manufacturing inadequacies. Your efforts are greatly appreciated Nicole and Hazel. Many thanks. The cake itself was delicious and has been quickly finished off at home!

I find it difficult to express my gratitude to all who attended the do and I feel that what I have said in this blog is far less than what I feel.

Lastly I see that Chris is running a sweepstake in regard to my time achieved in the Pike race. I assume that I am not allowed to participate other than to run the race.

 

IMG_0098

No comments: