Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Fleet of foot?

It was with great regret that I had to miss JtE's 80th birthday bash, my absence being due to a trip to Hampshire that had been arranged long before the solstice supper date was decided.

Purpose of the trip south was to incorporate a family visit with the Fleet pre London half marathon, the first of a two-part spring road race campaign (the next is Brighton marathon in two weeks time) .  There was a time when we fielded a family 'team' of five at Fleet, this year's number having been depleted by injury, lack of  fitness an other reasons to the extent that I was the only team member left.

The day broke cloudless but cold and persisted from the gun to the   tape and no doubt resulted in many personal fast times.

In an age group where few turn out it was the first race since turning 75 that I had any competition  and the organisers had chosen to lump all over 70 in the same category  so there was no glory  for me at Fleet this year.

I finished in the top 47 per cent with times of 1.49.56 (chip) and 1.50.35 (gun) and was well pleased that my recent training on the circuit around winter hill had paid off.


No comments: