Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Who's a Happy Bunny then?

Well, not a bunny, more a Squirrel Nutkin.

Last night, the Chernobyl 5k saw mixed fortunes. Conditions were cool, but not too cold, and the course was mainly tarmac, on traffic free cycle ways, laid on old tram and railway routes.

SN and I started shoulder to shoulder, with BLB (Big Little Brother (Bob)) settling a bit further back. It was very soon obvious that SN had the legs of me and she drew slowly and steadily away. By half way I had managed to stop the gap expanding further, but shortly after, on a sharp little incline, I realised that my body was not delivering what my competitive mind was asking it to deliver, and I had to pause for a few moments before resorting to a walk/run second half.

Not many folk came past, but those that did included Tom Hilton of Chorley AC who went on to take the V65 prize (but see later).

I was expecting BLB to pass me on my walking stages, but coming back from injury, off virtually no training, he was still behind at the finish. At the finish I was greeted by a gleeful SN who had already gathered a posse of other horrid women to share in her delight and to witness my discomfort.  However her delight was tempered by her realisation that her victory was due more to my ill health than to her athletic excellence.

Only kidding, Hazel, a good run on your part, it's who's best on the night that counts, well done!

Poor old Tom, expecting to pick up what must be one of his (very?) rare prizes, was denied this honour, as apparently the guy what knows wasn't there, and the awards were delayed until after the final race in this three race series on 19th June.

BLB and I sent SN home and stopped a couple of pints of Thwaites (each) from going off. Not the best of evenings, but finishing off with a couple of pints can't be all bad. BLB texted (horrid word) me when I was half way home to report that, travelling on two wheels, he had arrived home whilst I was still on the motorway.

Just a short jog locally tonight, expect a report soon of my findings at the Headless Cross.

No comments: