Monday, April 16, 2012

Coledale Horseshoe Race - Perfect day for running in the Lakes shocker

As T'Y correctly guessed I travelled up to Coledale as EYJ's 'crew' for the day - to get him there safely, encourage him see him off and bring him home. It really was a perfect day for running being cool without uncomfortably cold, not too windy, bright and clear in all directions from the tops. Even the small snow flurry (as I was climbing Sleet How of all places) was dry and just bounced off. The ground was easy running for a Lakeland race, dry flat gravel or grass with only short rocky sections, although I found it hard (even the grassy bits) and my feet were very sore at the end caused I think by studs 'punching' through.

The race itself, 8 and a half miles with 3000ft climb, is quite easy after Grisedale Pike - however the 2,000+ climb up to it out of the village is the thing and that certainly did for me. I watched as EYJ and Paul Murray pulled away obviously very aware of each other and apparently never more than around 30m apart all race. In a technical description, John 'came off his shoulder' at the gate into the finish field and finished a whole 2 seconds ahead, so his Championship is looking good so far this year.

I finished some time later in a very poor state just before a pretty intense hail shower, which isn't what I was looking for but will do me for now.

Colin

No comments: