Sunday, April 22, 2012

That Were 'Ard

Did the Grasmere Fells and Tarns LDWA event yesterday and it sure exposed my lack of fitness and stamina. I'd geared up based on the weather forecast expecting it to be cool and often wet with the possibility of thunderstorms so ran in running tights and walking waterproofs and didn't bother taking much liquid. As usual fine on the first few miles on the climb up Heron Pike and Great Rigg. As expected Iceman Kev and Mark passed me as soon as I had to descend. Great food at the first checkpoint at Ghyll Foot. I probably stayed too long but not as long as the group who were in front of me. The weather changed over Helm Crag with a hailstone shower, the first of many I thought. However, it was not to be and by Easedale Tarn I had to take water from the stream, possibly not a good decision in retrospect. The climb out of Easedale to Blea Rigg is quite demanding and possibly treacherous in bad weather. By the time I reached the second of the refreshment points at High Close, I was very thirsty so took in a pint or two and replenished my pouch. I would have hoped to then regain some lost time over Loughrigg and the flat final 2 to 3 miles to the finish but the best I could do was 50% run, 50% walk to arrive back in well over 8 hours. If I return in future years I think I'll walk the first 17 miles and just run the final 4. Big thanks to Kev and Mark for their patience - I think they had been back over an hour.

No comments: