Monday, July 27, 2009

You're Going to Regret This!

Encouraging the older ones amongst us to reminisce, that is.

Just clicked on NLN's latest link and there it was - Crook Peak. Just a little research (it's still in the calendar) confirmed that it was the Crook Peak that I raced down in deepest Zummerset back in August 1993. I was doing an audit at ROF Bridgwater (only one "e" in that one), when one of the local lads mentioned that there was a race on the Wednesday night.

It seemed like home from home when I turned up at registration to find that there was not only a Tetley's wagon in the car park (delivering beer, not tea), but Chris Lyon and his wife were entered.

The race didn't go well, my diary entry reads "...terrible, only just beat Carole Lyon". The beer went down better.

It wasn't always ideal, working away from home with a young family, but it certainly gave me opportunities to run in new areas. Earlier that month I had "bagged" Ben Lomond whilst on audit at Bishopton near Glasgow.

Co-incidentally, my training diary also tells me that the world triathlon championship was held in Rivington in that same month, although I'm fairly sure it wasn't an ironman. I did the Horwich tri a week later and fairly predictably my diary entry reads "...pretty bad (PW)..." ~ did I never have a good run?

Just spotted another co-incidence - this year (perhaps every year) the August Harrock Hill race, which I believe was first organised by Chris Lyon, is on the same evening as Crook Peak - spooky!

No comments: