Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I'm Inclined To Agree
(more or less)

I chucked my slide rule away about 30 odd years ago in favour of the newly invented calculator. Although I have been working in metric measure since 1972 when the building industry changed over, I feel more comfortable in considering the height of mountains in imperial measure, and, of course, we always consider distances in miles. For my calculations therefore I have converted the horizontal distance from Styhead to Gable summit to feet to coincide with the vertical height in feet given on my map. Using trigonometry, the opposite, being the vertical dimension, is 1349 feet, and the adjacent, being the horizontal dimension, which I measure as 3975 feet, gives me an opposite over adjacent figure of 0.3394 and applying this figure to the Tangent column in my trig. tables gives me an angle of 18.75 degrees. Further, my old friend Pythagoras (is that how you spell him?) tells me that the sloping distance from Styhead to the summit, in a straight line and excluding bumps, is 4198 feet, only a mere 223 feet more than the horizontal dimension. Amazing!

No comments: