Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wasdale 6 : EtU 5 ~ Time to Quit?

It was just 20 years ago that I first entered the Wasdale Fell Race and the wisely shaken heads in the RMI when I announced this were proven to be right when I was timed out on Gable in 4:25.

The next year, (1990) I was better prepared and finished the course in 6:35; I was delighted.

1991 was another DNF timed out on Pillar, but finishes in 1992, 1993 and 1994 (my BG year) when I ran 5:42 meant that I felt that I had some credibility as a fellrunner.

My next attempt was in 1998 when I ran 6:23, but I didn't realise that that was almost certainly to be my last finish. 1999 saw poor conditions and I took a terrible line off Whin Rigg and arrived at Greendale half an hour off schedule. I knew there was no point in toiling up Seatallen, and that year was my only voluntary retirement.

In 2003 and 2008 I was timed out on Pillar, but with the benefit of my Joss training, I felt that 2009 might produce another finish. But it was not to be, despite sterling support from TF and YJ on Pillar. Pillar was reached 15 minutes earlier than in '08 (one minute over the cut-off but the marshals turned a blind eye) but the descent to Black Sail is not to my liking and having worked hard to reach Pillar I was running out of steam. On reaching the marshals on Gable, I was 25 minutes outside cut-off and despite my cheery "Can I carry on?" I was, quite rightly, sent home.

The beauty, magic and menace of the Wasdale valley and surrounding fells have always made them special to me (scatter my ashes on Mickledore) but it seems that I won't be trying the 'Big One' any more ~ well maybe just one more time...

EtU

No comments: