Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pike Race Day

Started the day with 6 chilly miles taking in Two Lads, Winter Hill trig and then the Pike via the no longer wobbly bog. Christa had met me at the UTUP, but, coming back from a cold, decided that discretion was the better part of valour and turned for home when we hit the mast road. Hope there was no ill effect, Christa, although you did say you'd be officiating at the race and you were not apparent, so I fear the worst.

Although I've been generally scathing about United Utilities' attempts to improve the Winter Hill Massif, I must admit that the recent work done to partly drain the broad path from the mast to the Pike does make for better running.

Later in the day, there was the usual carnival atmosphere around the Pike Race start area, with too many old friends to greet them all properly. However, I was able to provide a final briefing to the other two members of the Horwich OAP B Team, who run in the Bunny Run Relay this evening, and to sow the seeds of an OAP A Team in the minds of suitable contenders - see tomorrow's exciting instalment. Good to see Dennis Weir, still threatening to report to a Saturday UTUP, and sporting the red vest as he toed the line.

Immediate family interest centred on a re-run of the 2013 contest between YJ, YJ's lad Eden, me, and my lass, Sporty Swift, now Merino, or Merno, as she appears in the results.

So far as I could see from my position at the back, after the usual settling in up Lever Park Avenue, there was no change in positions on the climb, with the order at the turn being Eden (18:30 est), SS (19:09), YJ (19:32) and self (20:55). The group concertinaed a little on the descent, with Eden down in 11:19, SS in 11:01, YJ in 12:06 and me in 11:14, with SS just 7 seconds behind Eden at the line. She reckons she would have passed him on the descent if she hadn't stumbled and swore, which alerted him to her proximity and spurred him on; but I'm not so sure. It just shows, Rachel, that no good comes of using bad language, and the way that the Lord works is not always so mysterious.

A good time (if not good times) seemed to be had by all, with YJ taking the first MV70 slot. Although slightly disappointed to retain my wooden spoon position, I was nevertheless pleased to take just over two and a half minutes off my 2013 time; good stuff these drugs! SS outshone me, taking over 5 minutes off her 2013 time - must be my coaching. Oh, and another thing, Rachel Merno, you must improve your writing on entry forms, last year you appeared in the results as Rahel Mario!

But this report would not be complete if no mention was made of the fact that t'Y beat us all, and - wait for it! - descended in a time of 10:17! Well done that Tyke!

1 comment:

Temporarily Misplaced said...

I was there Ed. I did the timing at the end. Great fun!