Monday, April 21, 2014

A Brilliant Pike Race Day

Maybe, NLN, we were all waiting for someone else to write a report. I'm sure we will get a family perspective at some time. For my part, I got my registration in early, so that's unusual, then headed off to marshall for the Junior Races, leaving my post at the gate on Georges Lane just before the final U16 runners came though on the descent, handing my bib to the capable hands of EYJ. Consequently the warm-up comprised jogging back down the hill and to my car parked near The Crown for a change of shoes and removal of outer garments. I did keep my gloves on as it was very chilly in the wind at Georges Lane. A quick warm-up, say hello to Ed, YJ, Rachel, Dennis Weir, Allan Blinkhorn and Pete Scott and then we are off. Followed one the Galloping Major's staff, thinking he would slow down but he didn't (well done Lawrence).
Due to the sheer numbers (over 350), missed the short cut at the bend going up but gradually made a little improvement as we headed up to Georges Lane, grateful to all those who cheered me on (sure it is the same for Ed - the number of people who know our name on the Pike race route is amazing).
On the descent, I used the line which I spotted Albert taking a few years back on the Downhill Race - I think it definitely helps then I could feel someone on my shoulder on that line - little surprised that it was Brent about to overtake me just after Georges Lane (or just before).  I was also greeted by Ed on his way up.
The dry conditions helped me as I didn't lose too much on the grassy slopes and was able to pick it up as the gradient eased slightly gaining up to half a minute on those around me at Georges Lane. I was pretty much spent by the time I hit Lever Park Avenue but managed to pull back to four seconds behind Lawrence and immediately behind the second V60, albeit seven V65s ahead of me!
So a best time for a while for me : 28:57 with YJ taking the V70 title in 31:41, his son Eden just pipping Rachel, 30:04 and 30:11 and Ed at 32:13, like me an improvement of over two minutes. Comparing results with last year, I would say the conditions improved times by typically 30 seconds, so I am very happy with my time, especially with the sparse training I have done recently.
Trevor Fishwick has posted a set of photos on facebook which capture at least Ed, Rachel and myself.
Full results here.
Well done to TLoB's lot. Hopefully this afternoon results will confirm a fixture with the twentieth century's greatest club side next season.

No comments: