Saturday, August 14, 2010

Today

Great to be out on the hills without Deet!  Did I mention that this morning? 

Excellent outing with old friends and new, starting off with EtU, TiM,  Matt,  and  EYJ.    The route consisted of usual diaganol to Two Lads, along the green road to the right of the metalled road and past the mast, down the ramp, Amble route to Dog Bucket Farm, Cartridge Hill, down past the old Hall and then up to Great Hill.  Just before the climb Matt, having recently returned from Austria (pictures, please) decided to divert to Spitlers and return.  On gaining the summit of Great Hill, EtU and TiM returned via Spitlers.  That left EYJ and myself to return via White Coppice, the quarries, and Rivington. 

The two of us hadn’t run together before and so I had no idea what a demon runner our new member is – not only did I get my miles in but EYJ pushed the pace hard which is just what I needed after a two week lay off.  I had to encourage him to make a break for it on the cascade climb to wait for me at the top, and he had no trouble at all – mind he was chasing a rather attractive young lady Burnden runner and beat her to the top.   Chatting to the three ladies, one known to many of us from the Amble and other LDWA events (Shirley) EYJ was able to reminisce about past running friends at the club. 

Just out of interest I wonder if any of our group noticed the time of arrival at the car park.  We arrived at 12.08, not long after EtUs deadline and I wondered how far ahead others were, as we seemed to fly – well EYJ did and I managed to hang on!

Completed – 15.43m  +2,460/-2,416

It’s surprising what a couple of weeks absence brings, last time I was on Winter Hill the road was closed, at the mast, requiring the irritating diversion around the back, but the most significant difference was the change in running conditions.  Two weeks ago everywhere was hard-baked, like running on concrete, this morning after the amount of rain since the hose-pipe ban the going was soft and lush which of course gave us the usual amount of bog in places, particularly the approach to Great Hill.  Still good to be on the home hills again.

Not out potentially for four weeks due to other games to play, but depending on weather etc this could change.

NLN

No comments: