Saturday, August 21, 2010

Backpacking Practice

For those in the know one of my challenges for this year is the Rab Mountain Marathon (25/26th Sept). This is a 2 day navigating event done in teams of 2 or solo, with a remote campsite midway. It's a 'score' event, which means find as many controls as you can in 6hrs on the first day and 5hrs on the second.

I'm soloing, so wanted to practice to make sure I'd got my kit etc sorted. To make the practice as realistic as possible, the car had to say at home. Some amount of planning later and I'd come up with the following

Day 1 (Friday 20th Aug)
Train from Bolton to Penrith
Taxi from Penrith to Pooley Bridge
Walk the JN Route from Pooley Bridge to Stoney Cove Pike, where I would turn NW and drop down to Brotherswater and camp overnight at the Sykeside campsite

Day 2 (Saturday 21st Aug)
Walk from Brotherswater to Ambleside (via route to decide on day)
Bus from Ambleside to Windermere
Train from Windermere to Bolton

Well it weren't cheap. I'd pre-booked the campsite but all other outlays were made on the day. Total sum was a whopping £73 (including campsite fee). Ok the taxi was a bit extravagant, but only option to fit in with logistics. Next time I'll pre-book the train tickets, single Bolton-Penrith £27:50 on the day, web price £9.

After all that, didn't see a thing yesterday. Set off from Pooley Bridge at 10:00am and arrived at campsite at 16:00pm. I'll admit to skirting some of the summits, it was pretty grim conditions, but my kit was dry even if I wasn't. Early pace was pretty much on the JN 24hr schedule, dropped off towards the end as found it a lot harder going scrambling with a heavier pack, (very tricky getting up to Stoney Cove Pike). Didn't realise how much I use my arms to pull myself up.

Today I took the path up over Scandale Pass and dropped down into Ambleside. Not the easiest option, I could have got the Bus back!

See you all on Thursday
TF

No comments: