Sunday, March 01, 2009

New Chew Sunday 1st March 2009

Not one of my better days with the map and compass. I didn't make a good route choice after finding the 2nd control and after the 5th one I managed to nearly do a full circle on the moor in clear visibility! Well it would have been a full circle had I not finally realised my error. So perhaps more of a 'U' shape, but bad enough. I was only just over 2hrs at this point so I can't blame tiredness, just stupidness.

After finally getting back on track, I manage to find 3 more controls, to total 8 out of a possible 25. I arrived back with 25mins to spare, so I could have made an attempt for a ninth but had decided to call it day. It was only worth 10pts, and you were deducted 3pts for every minute you were late back.

As it turned out, my best decision for the day. Much to my surprise I didn't finish last, but 23/26. The pair behind were on equal pts (110) but slower, the person in front had 130pts. So I couldn't have improved my finishing position, but I could have made it worse.

When I measured the route I got it to 17.5K, or 10.85m (that included my 'u' moment). So EtU, as the New Chew is listed in the calender, am I allowed 10m or 10.5m as part of the challenge? I can bring the map to the next solstice 'do' for independent verification, if JtE brings his wheel.

Speaking of which, are we back at the T&T or are we giving the New Landlord at the Black Horse in Limbrick the benefit of our culinary critique? I can make most Fridays in March, but would need to leave early on the 13th as I have a very early departure to Grassington the following morning.

TF

No comments: