Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lads Leap Fell Race 5.9m/1700ft

Well I tried my best. To be last that is, but circumstances were against me. Basic route is S/F Crowden campsite (just off Woodhead Pass), cross Pennine Way and follow orange-dashed line (1:25 map OL1) to Lad's Leap and then to fence. Continue along fence-line following it downhill to the first track, turn onto track and follow back up to fence to return along the outward route.

On the word 'go' everyone sprinted off from the campsite except me, so a sizeable gap appeared from the off. That was until 400m later when rounding the corner of the Youth Hostel they were forming an orderly queue at the first stile. So back in shouting distance! Didn't last long though, and off they went again.

I managed to reach the fence (see above) just as the lead runner was climbing back over it. I said 'well-done' to the fast one, 'hello' to the marshal, and confirmed there was no-one behind me. So uneventful up to the point where the route then turned downhill. Then it got interesting. From my right appeared 2 female runners, and in front a male runner making a very 'careful' descent. So that was two who'd done a bit 'extra' and one who didn't like steep descents. So this was where circumstances intervened to prevent me from being last. By the time I said hello to the marshal again I wasn't last, the two ladies had caught me up on the track but didn't get too far ahead. I passed them as well as two others on the final descent. So 81/86 in a time of 83:38mins (winner Simon Harding 49:32mins)

Kinder Downfall Recce (10m/2500ft)

I was planning a recce of this route after Easter. NicO, YJ and NLN expressed an interest on Saturday and we hit upon Wedsnesday 15th April as a suitable date. YJ offered to drive so we'll need to arrange a suitable meeting point and time. There are a couple of pubs doing food in Hayfield so we could combine the run with a spot of lunch, what does everyone else think? Anyone else want to join us, if there's more than one car-load we could always arrange to rendevous at Hayfield.

If I can find what I've done with it, I'll post the route map nearer the time.

TF

No comments: