Saturday, March 07, 2009

Black Combe Sat 7th March

I had to retire from this race today as I was unable to locate the Marshall at the 4th check-point. My navigating not good enough to make up for my lack of speed. Visibilty was poor, confidence low and wondering ruefully on the start line about having not recced the route. I didn't need to look behind me to know that I was in last position on the start of the climb to the first check-point, as the loud clang of the fell gate being shut soon after was enough to confirm this. So 118 at CP1. Three places were gained part way up the path to the 2nd check-point so by now 115.

On my own now, no-one else in sight. I navigated perfectly in the clag to CP 3. How perfect, well I had gained a further 7 places. Now lying in 108th postition. Even more telling was the fact that for the section between CP2 and CP3 I was 89th fastest.

So why did I then go wrong? I don't really know, unless I was looking for someone who was already on their way back to the Village Hall for their pie and peas. I was still using the compass, having set it on a bearing. This was checked a couple of times. I was quite happy I'd arrived at the area where the Marshall should be, but wasn't. I then spent a further 30-40mins scouring the immediate area to confirm my location. Enough features were present to do this. So then finally, and very reluctantly, I had to admit defeat. I dropped down to the valley and headed to the next CP (5) to inform them I was retiring. No Marshall there either, but that was hardly surprising. To add injury to insult, not being able to inform anyone I was retiring, I was then forced into a 2 mile road run to get back quickly enough to stop them from instructing MRT to go looking for me.

On returning my dibber, I asked what did CP4 (a fodder rack) look like. The only man-made feature I found was a wooden post with some bits of wood scattered on the ground around it. Answer - yes, that's it! Well I'd been using this man-made feature as my relocating point whilst criss-crossing the area in search of the check-point and locating features. I was assured that the Marshall was still in place at the time I would have been in the vicinity and told I must have been 'having a bad day, we all have them'. Well I'm having them every weekend at the moment, not looking forward to next Saturday when I've got 24 miles to try to navigate and not 8.

For anyone curious enough to see the route click here

Results here http://www.bcrunners.org.uk/results/blackcombesplits09.html

I hope Ray had a better day at the Tour of Pendle today.

TF

No comments: