Monday, December 29, 2008

Peak 'O' Trial (Sun 28th Dec)

A bit of an informal affair this one. Originally it was billed as pre-entry only, with a choice of a 4m/1hr event or 8m/2hr event. The format - a set of check-points marked on a map, which could be visited in any order. A punch would be provided at each of the check-points to prove you'd been there. Knowing that I was doing Wansfell the day before, guess which one I opted for. Yep, that's right the 8m one!

This year Des (Organiser) decided to reduce his work-load and provide us with a B&W paper photo-copy map instead of the colour laminated version we had last year. He had thoughtfully marked the CP's with a red felt-tip pen though! My initial route choice was determined by a stop at the car for the OL1, you couldn't see any contour lines, and it was hard to decide whether path, wall, stream etc. I managed to find all the CP's in an epic 2hr45mins. The winner, Julian Minshull of Glossopdale, did it in 1hr30mins. My route came out at 9.8m.

I've marked the CP's as purple blobs on the map below, there were 8 of them (I hope it'll expand). What order would you do?

TF

No comments: