Sunday, June 15, 2008

Kinder Trog 16m/3490ft

The balls of my feet* had a cracking race this year. Shame I can’t say the same for the rest of the body attached to them. I finished (well that’s a plus I suppose at the moment), but a good 15mins down on last year. I can’t blame the conditions for this one, as you couldn’t wish for better; not too hot, a bit of breeze and dry underfoot. I could blame Andy Howie (Race Organiser), as one of his parting comments on setting us off were ‘should have some fast times today’. But that would be unkind, especially as he’d laid on a well organised race and a delicious array of jam butties at the end.

At the end of the day this one was down to me. Starting back on structured training this week has left me more ‘wiped’ out than I realised. So I guess I‘m right in opting for the early start option for Reservoir Bogs next week. Could be a while before I get to report a gud’un!

TF


*Last summer I suffered a lot with excruciating foot pain when running on hard surfaces after changing to new, albeit same model, of fell shoes. Kinder Trog stood out in this respect as there’s a long stretch of stone slabs early on in the route. Finally I managed to solve the problem by switching model of shoe and paying more attention to ‘careful’ foot preparation. Note ‘careful’, as this involves a scalpel and something akin to ‘wet&dry’ sandpaper. Having watched the Chiropodist a few times, I realised I had the wherewithal to save myself a few quid. Usual disclaimers about ‘don’t try this at home’ apply as it’s not for those of a nervous/squeamish disposition and requires a steady hand, particularly when wielding something sharp and pointy and usually involved in blood-letting.

No comments: