Thursday, April 28, 2016

Short, Curley's and prizes

The final race in the Curley's 5k series took place last night and it turned out to be a very successful evening. The weather was much better than last time, and although it did snow on me whilst I was warming up, the ground was much drier and so running through the woods was less treacherous.
Before the race I knew what I had to do in terms of my overall position but I got a big shock when t'Y shot past me before we had reached the houses at the Arcon works. He also went past Tony Hesketh and I began to think he must have doped up before the start. However, going up the steep hill, he started to pay for his exuberance and I had passed him back before we reached Georges Lane. From there on it was a question of trying to maintain the pace; last time I said I didn't mind the uphill finish but this time it seemed to go on for ever, and I really struggled. Eventually it was over and I was delighted to see my main rival in the V60 category finish behind me. t'Y had a blinder, knocking three minutes off his previous time despite his over enthusiastic start. SWINW knocked four minutes off her time and was very pleased as well.
The organisers soon had the results out and we had further cause to celebrate as there was a Beesley double success. SWINW was 1st LV60 overall and I was 1st V60, my first ever win in all my years of running. To cap a perfect evening, Roisin, one of my running group back in Settle, was 3rd lady. It would have been rude not to celebrate, so we just had to go to the pub to finish off a great night.

2 comments:

Ed the Unready said...

Well done the the Settle contingent! I'll see what I can do about organising a Horwich raid on one of your races - you do have some races, don't you?
Just to confirm, Coope's Dozen will be on Saturday 30th July, usual start - 9:00 at the Top Barn.
Tri Winter Hill will be on Saturday 6th August and the Lakeland Seven Passes will be on Saturday 25th June - all these events (dis)organised by Weakened Warrior Promotions.

TLoB said...

Settle Harriers races
Austwick Amble Monday May 30th
Pen y Ghent Saturday June 4th
Gill Garth Gallop Wednesday June 15th
Settle Hills Sunday June 19th
They are all in the fell calendar and all within three weeks of each other!
We are not here for the GGG and Settle Hills, I am marshalling at PyG, but am running the AA.