Monday, April 25, 2016

Saturday 23rd April

KLM and I reported for duty and he agreed to go with my plan which was the 'climbs' :- from the Bottom Barn to Noon Hill, back down to George's Lane, Trig Point, Two Lads, Georges Lane, Pike, George's Lane, then round again.

On our first climb up the Pike we passed the  time of day briefly with a big black guy and his lady.  He said something about it being a cold day and I replied by suggesting that he should try moving a bit quicker.  About half a minute later he ran past me (I was walking) then he passed Kev (who was running) and continued to sprint all the way up to the tower.

When I finally joined him at the top I shook his hand and said "well done" and he replied by admitting that he ran every day. I asked him if he raced and he just said "No, 2 Para". Kev, who also has a military background was able to find some common ground to discuss with our new found friend, and we parted, I think, on good terms.

Nice to know that we are being defended by fit young men, no wonder the Argies didn't hold on to the Falklands for very long.

I can just imagine him letting us get a few yards in front, then handing his coat to his lady and setting off after us with a confident grin and words along the lines of "Watch this!".

Overall, this was a grand outing, made all the better by this amusing encounter with a member of our armed forces.

No comments: