Sunday, April 10, 2016

Short, Curley's and mud

The second race in the Curley's 5k series took place last Wednesday in some very wild weather. Ten minutes before the race started, runners warming up were hit by a cosmic machine gun firing hail stones at them. It did stop just before the race, but it turned the ground in Wilderswood into a morrass.
I had come first V60 in race run but only by less than a minute, so my tactics were to start fast, push hard up the climb and then hang on. My plan worked almost too well as going into Wilderswood I was just behind Tony Hesketh. However, it soon became clear that he had saved something for the descent and he pulled away easily. The biggest problem was trying to stay upright on the muddy surface. I quite like the uphill finish as my lack of leg speed makes less difference and I finished in 25.07, this time almost two minutes ahead of my rival. t'Y was 3rd V60 - the race being far too short for him as he is training to run 100 miles at the end of May.
Dehydration being a serious problem and the grandsons having been returned to the bosom of their family, we went to the pub to finish off an enjoyable evening.

1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Chris, Thank you for not mentioning my dismal performance. Ed