Sunday, November 08, 2015

Trying to turn the clock back

Firstly, in case I have not mentioned it before, thank you to all those who came to my 60th party.
On reaching 60, I decided to return to the race which I have only run once before, back in 1990 in my first year as a member of Horwich. I'd been to the race before, in fact every year, as I was highly involved in the oranisation of the Abbey Dash, marshalling its most major road crossing at Kirkstall each year.
From its humble beginnings in 1985, the race has grown out of all proportion. Last year there were just short of 10,000 finishers, this year the limit of 12,000 has been reached. My daughter Diane and neice Debb have also entered.
I optimistically set my expected time as sub 45 minutes with thoughts of even getting close to my previous time of 40:25 from 1990. There's no chance of that, a time which might get me into the top three V60 on the day. 
Having put on about 10lbs in the past few months, I am quite surprised at the times I'm doing. Before my little encounter on The Knoll, I had reduced my parkrun 5k time to 22:01. Last Saturday I did my second parkrun as a V60 and managed 22:14, taking my second category victory, although this time there were two V65s ahead of me (Tony Hesketh was one), but still 12th out 245 on age performance times will do for me.
This weekend has been a dead loss as I have caught the cold virus that is doing the rounds at work. At least better now than next weekend. Hopefully, I will be recovered for the race.

3 comments:

Ed the Unready said...

Hope you have a dashed good run at Leeds!

TLoB said...

What course do you do your Park Runs at?

Ed the Unready said...

I did my September and October runs at Leverhulme Park and tried Cuerden Valley for November. December will see me at the recently introduced Haigh Hall run - Haigh Hall, Haigh Hall, it's off to run we go - to be sung.

Should we appoint a Parkrun Co-ordinator to select future venues?