Monday, November 02, 2015

A Village too far

Since my injuries started three years ago I've only run one race(The Pike, earlier this year ) and the farthest I've run is six-and-a-half miles. A couple of weeks ago I noticed "Through the Villages" road race  was advertised for Sunday November 1st, so thought I'd up my distances with a view to running the 8.45 mile race. Naturally, straightaway I got a bad throat and cold which dashed my plans(well dash doesn't really come into it where I'm concerned) but last Thursday night I managed to do a longer run, a bit too long I fear.

Anyway I turned  up on the day, started at the back of the field and for the sake of consistency finished at the back of the field as well. I recall doing this race a few years ago with EtU and whilst it was quite hilly it wasn't too bad. However they've altered the course so that now, somehow, there's a great deal more uphill than downhill, and on the flat. Now I've been going downhill ever since I was born so I'm not really inclined to go uphill. Back doesn't want to know, legs don't want to know, lungs don't want to know, heart doesn't want to know, head doesn't want to know. You could say that when it comes to running uphill, I'm on the slippery slope. Halfway through the race I realised I'd run my course if not theirs, and started to regret Thursday's long run. I can see the look of disapproval on YJ's face as I admit to walking some of the uphill stretches in the second half of the race. Somebody said that in some publication  the race had been referred to as a "race in hell", or some such phraseology, and it was for me if nobody else.

This is YJ's type of race. This course is right up is street, or road. He is a rare bird, not in the ornithological sense but in the running sense, because he derives an almost masochistic pleasure from running uphill. What's that all about YJ? Forget winning the  M75 category he'd have won the M45!(That's not a motorway).

Anyway I came in 265th out of 304 in a time of 1-25.45. There were two of us M75's and the other one somehow contrived to come in 9 minutes after me which is a considerable feat and deserves a prize in itself. I can only think that when the race started he was in The Dressers Arms ordering his fourth pint of Theakstons Old Peculiar.

Despite a most uncomfortable run the occasion has whetted my appetite for more races, so EtU's email outlining his race plans was immaculately timed. Back, knees, calves and colds permitting I look forward to joining you on the Longridge Pudding 7, where I'll have no problem entering into the spirit of the occasion, by running like a pudding.

Before that, someone at the race mentioned the "Stockport 10 mile" at the beginning of December which aroused my interest, having a daughter who lives in the area. Then they said it's a hilly course which soon disaroused, inaroused, unaroused(take your pick or make up your own) me. What is it with these course designers that they're so obsessed with going uphill?  What about us wimps?  Why can't they have a "Wimps 10 mile"? Sounds hugely attractive to me.

2 comments:

Toothfairy said...

Saved by the computer. Entries for Stockport 10 closed 2nd Nov!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info TF. That'll teach me to whinge about running up hills.