Sunday, November 01, 2015

Stevenage Half Marathon Sunday 1st Nov 13.1m/ negligible ft  (66ft off one GPS trace!)

Why Stevenage you ask? Well in 2004 it was my first half marathon, so I have a bit of affinity for it. I repeated it in 2007 (new course) as a V35 and knocked nearly 15 mins off my time. So roll on a further 8yrs and what could I do this time?

Well I'd not had the best of build ups with an injury and then 2 colds in October, the last the week before threatening a no show, or at the very worse a repeat of 2004 when I'd run with a chesty cough and packet of cough sweets to keep me going. Older and wiser, yeah right, a non-refundable Hotel bill meant I was going!

Weather-wise couldn't have asked for a better day, brilliant sunshine and about 12/13 degrees with very little breeze. A little bit of foreboding whilst sat on the Transfer Coach when Daniel Powter song 'Bad Day' came on the radio, .

Where is the moment we needed the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to grey
They tell me your passion's gone away
And I don't need no carryin' on

You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life's been way off line
You're falling to pieces every time
And I don't need no carryin' on

Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day


It's a catchy enough tune, but could there be worse songs to set you on your way?

The one thing I like about this Half Marathon is how well organized it is, a very smooth operation. No worries this year of how to attach the timing chip as it was stuck on the back of the number. It does amaze me though (with my race organizer hat on) how some runners seem to think the number is worn on their back. When there's 500+ runners milling about at the start and you're one of a small handful of 'odd ones out' you'd start to wonder. Wouldn't you? (Instructions stated to wear on the front).

We set off on time and I soon settled in to a steady pace. I had thought about running watch-less, but couldn't quite bring myself to do that, so opted to do as I did for Haweswater and just clock my time for the first mile and then again at 10m. Nearly to plan until I got to the 6th mile and could hear Church Bells ringing. Thinking I could be nearer the hour mark, I had a sneaky look. 54mins, phew! I was still maintaining about 9min/m pace. At 10m I was spot on 90mins. So far, so good.

I tried to push a bit in the last 3m, but try as I might I couldn't squeeze anything less than 9min/m pace, so ended up with a Gun Time of 1:58:05 and a Chip Time of 1:57:01.

So a slower time than 2007, but the devil's in the detail

Here are the comparable Stats
   2015                                       2007
Gun Time            1:58:05                                  1:55:52
Chip Time           1:57:01
Position               
Overall                 286/507                              376/588
Females               51/146                                 59/165

Vet                      10/35 (V45)                         24/56 (V35)

In all other aspects I improved, or is it just that everyone else has got worse? Quite telling that the winning time today of 1:14:27 was just shy of 7mins slower than 2007.

TF



1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Just over 2 minutes slower 8 years later sounds ok to me. With regard to the song you heard being a bad omen, I can only refer you to my post dated 18th April 2011.