Monday, June 04, 2012

Ennerdale Spectator

Well I didn't make it to the start line having never sent in an entry. Having had some abysmal weather on the weekends that I'd had free for reccing, I hadn't manage to do that either. So as the weather look promising on race day I decided to go and have a look at the tricky bit from Red Pike to Black Beck tarn. With runners out on the course I'd be able to get a better idea of the racing lines.

Starting point for my walk (taking it easy as racing the following day) was from the Buttermere side.

(Looked like my ice cream would be ready when I got back)
Up to Red Pike and a chat with the marshalls. I'd arrived a bit early for the runners so as it was a bit chilly on the summit I decided to carry on and see if I could pick up the trod contouring round High Stile. Was back to the main path before they came through, but happy enough that I contoured on the right line.

Race map describes this part of the route as 'grassy' - don't know about you but I can see lots of rocks too!


Some runners opted to keep to the main path. Then onto Gamblin End, at the bottom of this the field split in two before approaching Seat. Some opting to contour to the left and some sticking to the main path for a 'up and over' approach to Scarth Gap.
(think they're the same walkers as in the photo above, told you I was taking it easy!)

(runners on the contouring line)
I opted for the main path so I could keep out of the way. On to more contouring round Haystacks and finally arriving at Black Beck tarn. Joss's daughter was manning the CP, and stayed for a chat and to encourage the runners through. One almost had to do a full lap of the tarn having contoured a long way round Haystacks!

(looking up at the tourist path from the third CP)


 
Helvellyn and the Dodds Sunday 3rd June 24K/1337m

They extended the race last year with a new starting point just off the A66 at Thelkeld Cricket Club. Apparently this was one of Kenny Stuart's training runs, bet he did this on a nice sunny summers evening. We weren't blessed with that sort of weather, and I was going to need a full day.

Essentially the route is an out'n'back to Helvellyn calling at Clough Head, Great Dodd and Raise summits on the way there and back, the others you could skirt round. By the time I got to Great Dodd I had a long sleeve HH, club vest, wind-proof top and waterproof jacket on and I was still cold. Vis was poor.

I wasn't sure I was too pleased to clear the cut-off of 2 hours at Raise (by 5mins) and felt like saying sorry to the marshalls as they were then going to have to wait for me to come back through. I'd been running with three other ladies since Great Dodd and if I'd been on my own I might have been tempted to turn back. On the otherhand the race rules stated that if you retired, you still had to visit all the check points on the way back (for safety reasons). So might as well carry on and finish.

Mood lifted on the return as the mist lifted and could see the route, wind seemed to drop a bit too. One of the ladies made a break for it after Stybarrow Dodd, tried to keep with her but could only narrow the gap a bit on the climbs. Quite glad they'd flagged the route back to the Cricket field after dropping off Clough Head otherwise I'd have been wandering around all over the place. Hate to think what that's like in the dark on a BG round!

Having finished thinking there was only 2 behind, got a nice little bonus to find it'd increased to 3. Even better were the lovely sandwiches and cakes and a hot shower. One for the Diary, usually the Sunday of the 2nd (last) bank holiday weekend in May.

Results are on Keswick AC website (can't do a link) winner 2.27, me 4:15 (68/71)

TF

 

No comments: