Monday, June 18, 2012

5 races , 5 days.

This time last year I thought I would never do a fell race again never mind a series of races but thanks to this motley collection of vintage hill and bog-trotters who encouraged me to have a go, I did more than I thought possible over these last 5 days.

Having said that Tony Varley's and Albert Sunter's (T&A) exploits over the same period put my little achievement in the shade.

Last Wednesday it was the 3rd of 4 Preston Guild Street 'O' competitions, I did the 60 minute course around Preston Town centre but T&A did the 75 minute session! (It's the only thing I can beat them at) Thursday night we all did the 2 Lads fell race with T&A & others well out in front it was down to T'YM and me to have a head-to-head until he took a dive with an impressive roll to follow, allowing me to get in front only to fall just before the cottage.  Finished the race just behind Mark Sammon and a little over a minute in front of t'YM.  On to Friday and the Lever Park trail run, T&A off like ferrets up a drain pipe never to be seen again.  Unfortunately this was not well marshaled at a critical junction meaning I passed some back markers for the second time as only and handful of us did the correct route on the first lap.

Saturday I was now hurting from the previous 3 races and had the Great Hill fell race to tackle in torrential rain and howling head on wind on the way up.  I won't be doing that one again in a hurry!  I am not a lover of routes that cover the same route out and back especially with long down hills on tarmac.  T&A; well they did the White Bear LDWA and ran the 21 miles or in Tony's case + an extra 2 miles due to a misdirection on the shorter 10 mile route?!

Sunday and the 5 km road race - hated it.  3 times round Horwich with the winners passing me half way round my second lap!  T&A not only did the 5km but also the park sprint 'O' event prologue in the morning with the Urban 'O' event in the afternoon.  I've said it often in the past and I will say it again, when I grow up I want to be like those silver tops that keep running past me!

It was a great experience and I will try and stitch more on next year to beat EtU's record (9 events in 7 days? EtU to confirm.)  Just need to recover ready for this weeks 2 'O' events in Preston and Salford Quays.

KLM.


No comments: