Monday, June 27, 2011

Reccies done, well sort of....

The second time I've been on the top of Great Gable and still haven't benefited from the climb for the panoramic view!

Weather-wise it was worse than last week, proper drizzle and 20m visibility. Borrowdale route was slow going from Bessy Boot to Esk Hause, in most parts there is a well worn trod but it occasionally fades in and out so required lots of concentration. Decided to skip Scafell Pike completely and turned right for Styhead. At this point, passed walkers on their way to Scafell Pike, I know 'cos I was asked 'Is this the way to..'. I did debate with myself if I should have pointed out that they were heading to Esk Hause and had to turn right for Scafell Pike, but thought that would be stating the obvious?

Coming off Great Gable and heading for Windy Gap managed to go slightly 'off piste' having lost the route of the path and nearly found a quicker way off, well it would have been if I'd packed a 25m rope with me. Anyway, back up a bit to regain the proper route. Did ok with the contouring route off Green Gable, but really messed up the one round Brandreth. Given the amount of time I wasted here it would have been quicker to just go straight over the top. Relieved to eventually find the right fence and stile to climb over. Wimped out a bit after that and followed the fence line until I dropped out of the mist. Back down to Seatoller to say hello to the Man from the NT again. He'd remembered the car, now proudly displaying it's money-saving sticker.

Sunday's forecast had sounded a bit better with the potential for the tops to clear. So headed round to Wasdale for one final chance of a recce of the Scoat Fell-Pillar-Black Sail Pass section. Thought that by the time I'd climbed up to Dore Head and over Red Pike it may be clear. No such luck. Despite the mist, I managed to find a couple of the better lines, so pronounced my self satisfied with this.

Back on home turf this Saturday for a change!

TF

No comments: