Sunday, June 26, 2011

Darwen Tower via the scenic route

Having forewarned YJ that I may turn up at UTUP, for once I did, At the start the weather seemed not as bad as expected, dry enough for me to pack the waterproof into the bum bag. Two Lads and then Winter Hill by which time YJ was struggling a bit so he sent us on our way as he felt the destination of Darwen Tower was not a good idea but gallantly wanted NLN to achieve her target for the morning. I had no idea whether I would keep up as on Tuesday I couldn't even complete my regular circuit of the climbs. Due to choice of footwear, we chose to head down to the bridge and then along Georges Lane to Horden Stoops before heading up Spittlers at which time the cag was needed as it started raining. Looking for the diagonal path to Piccadilly, we went off too early and explored the moors before retracing our steps and eventually picking up the correct path. The route across to Piccadilly was particularly wet. Then it was straightforward to continue up to Darwen Tower, en route chatting to FSS who was descending the hill. We left the tower at 11.10, knowing that it would be quicker going back taking a more direct route. But first we didn't want come down from Darwen Tower by the same route so our alternative route also through up its challenges but eventually we were on our way, I did manage to find a nice deep hole just before Spittlers before we took the direct path to Drinkwaters then Ammunition Corner to complete a good 4 hrs 10 minutes on the fells on a typical summer's day - wet and misty all morning.

No comments: