Thursday, June 09, 2011

Boars Head Fell Race 8m/1322ft

Found this a bit tough last night. Not sure if it was due to the orienteering event the night before or still having a bit of Duddon in my legs. Probably set off a bit too quick and really struggled up the first gentle hill, loads seem to stream pass me.

Could've done with the dog that one of the lead ladies had earlier, pulling her up the hill on her warm-up. A 'lurcher-type' , and various comments of 'that's cheating', 'have you paid his entry' etc got me thinking, as one of my nurses has taken on a retired greyhound as a pet and this could be Blaze's chance to make a come-back. Don't think he won many races, but now could be his chance to shine. I wonder if he'll fancy a trot round Winter Hill on Saturday morning as a bit of a trial!

Anyway back to the race, about 2m in and we reached the same climb that was in the Vanessa Chappell race a fortnight before. Still didn't manage to run most of it and it's no steeper than the trod up to Winter Hill Trig. Later in the race I nicked a few places by opting to climb a steep bank rather than use a track and came back to the finish probably about 5 mins quicker than last year (no results to confirm as yet). So not too bad, but I reckon I was beat by a few from the race a fortnight before. The third race in the series is next week, so will rest up a bit on Tuesday night this time!

Turner Landscape Fell Race 10/09/2011 (11m/3000ft) - I'll be in the lakes that weekend as it's the Mountain Trial on the 11th, although I haven't decided yet whether to do the short or the medium course. The website listing doesn't give much info except that all proceeds will be going to charity (so no prizes). Sounds good to me. We might even persuade our non-racing fraternity to come out to play for the day.

TF

No comments: