Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Santon Bridge 28th June to 6th July 2008

A good Lakeland week with more fine weather than wet and only one day when rain seriously affected activities.

Didn't run on the Saturday of arrival or Sunday of departure, but ran every day apart from these. Three morning trips up the nearby Irton Pike direct from home, my regular Mitredale Round, again from home, taking in Boat How, Illgill Head and Whin Rigg, returning over Irton Pike. An outing with David P-T from Wasdale head up to Sty Head, then Gable, Kirk (where David was pleased to be recognised from the TV by some walkers) and straight down the nose back to Wasdale Head ~ a good hard workout, which more than reminded me of my weak descending. Also Wainwright's Devoke Water Round from the Birker Fell Road on a very pleasant morning.

Most significant was the Glaramara fell race (AS) on the 29th. As I scrambled up the 10 ft step at the top I was in front of two guys, but both passed me on the descent and I had resigned myself to my first ever last place in a fell race. However, just before coming off the fell I was pleased to see a figure in front of me moving even more awkwardly than I was. However this temporary uplift was dashed when as I passed him, it turned out he was one of the leaders who had twisted his ankle, so I resigned myself again to last place. Final situation, I discovered when I saw the results, was that Jack Dugdale of CLeM (for it was he with the injured ankle) was included in the results behind me.

But in truth I was last, you can't count beating an injured man who limps over the line, half an hour behind where he should have been.

Verdict, a good week with some good workouts, but not particularly encouraging from a fitness point of view.

Oh yes, I did a bit of walking with the Old Speckled Hen as well.

EtU

No comments: