Thursday, July 24, 2008

D for Dunce

I really must pay more attention in committee meetings
I really must pay ....

The start line was not the place to find out that of the two Sale 5k races (a 4 race series) in our Road Championship, tonight was not one of them. And as I was accompanied by the two twenty-something whippersnappers, I'd have been certain of maximum vet points too. Had it been the right race.

After this revelation, the race went as predicted. We all followed Andi (Salf H), me finishing 11mins after him with 260 runners between us. I thought I'd probably be about a minute slower than last year (pb 24:30), so the extra 20secs on top of this, I'm allowing for heat exhaustion. 24 degrees is not my ambient running temperature, hence the reason for an autumn marathon.

Unfortunately this does mean that I'll now have to consider repeating the whole thing again in a fortnight to bag a few points. Could be a tough decision this, as the next one will be the day after the 14m run home from work. Tonights effort was the day after a nice relaxing afternoon spent in the garden cutting the grass and trimming the pyracantha, skimmia, hebe, aucuba, spiraea, hypericum, cotoneaster......... In fact if it was green(ish) it got a chop, I managed to fill the green wheelie bin and the black one (storing it until the green one gets emptied next week- honest!)

TF


No comments: