Monday, March 24, 2008

Rome Marathon

Sorry for the delay with this; prompted by my travelling companions I started work on a comprehensive report covering the whole weekend, but realised that was probably not what you might be interested in so that will be finished in due course with the Derby contingent as the intended readers.

Cut to the chase ~ I had thought that with a bit of luck, 4 hours might be possible, but at the end of the day luck doesn't play a big part in marathon running. With an average weekly mileage since Christmas of less than 35, a sub 4 was never on.

Rome is a wonderful city and the race started within yards of the Coloseum, crossed the Tiber four times, passed by the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain and the Vatican City and finished back at the Coloseum. Most of it was on cobbles (or to be more correct, sets) but they were smoother than UK sets and not a serious problem. Part of the course was on a dual carriageway which detracted a little from the wonderful character of the event, but it wasn't for long.

Rog and Dave, my travelling companions both ran 3:08, I ran 4:08. My second half was marginally faster than the first and I was placed 6,320th at the half way point and and 5,157th (out of about 10,500 finishers) at the finish. Boy, was it good just sailing past all those folk in second half.

My complete report will include my views on Italian food, Italian women, disconsolate Scotsmen, and the price of Guinness in Rome, Rog's views on Italian green-keeping, Dave's views on playdough, the team shirts, Italian retro running (don't mention the war) and the meaning of life and the universe and extracts Macaulay's "Horatius" including "Oh Tiber! father Tiber! To whom the Romans pray, A Roman's life, a Roman's arms, Take thou in charge this day..."

The marathon motto was "Corro ergo sum" which Rog insisted means "I watch Coronation Street, therefore I am" ~ Dave and I weren't convinced.

And we never did get to meet Harry ~ you know, that guy the Ities are always talking about, 'Arry the Turkey.

EtU

No comments: