Monday, March 03, 2008

Noon Stone Fell Race

A worrying trend appears to be occurring in fell races - instigation of cut-off times where there hasn't been one previously, especially in the not so long, partially flagged races such as this one. A quick check of the Todmorden website on Friday night revealed the true horror.

The usual race tactic of 'start at back and pick 'em off one by one' was out the window. Although I wasn't last the year before (got 4, 5 if you include the one who went via Todmorden!), I had no idea what time it took me to get to the 'guillotine' point. So two races then, or in supermarket jargon a 'BOGOF'.

Ably wind assisted I avoided the 'chop' by 12 mins, relieved to make it to the unmarked part of the course. Unmarked being a bit of a misnomer, as 200 and odd pairs of feet had made their mark on Turley Holes and Higher House Moor by the time I got there. I then settled down to enjoy the second race, starting with the wind full in your face and a long trudge across peat bogs and then on to the little climb at the end before the steep grassy descent!

Winning time was 1hr10mins35secs John Brown (Salford Harriers - I know, 2!! Salford Harriers in one fell race) me 1hr59mins44secs, a little sprint at the end got me in under the 2hrs. There were also a couple of rmi-ers in attendance, Geraldine picking up the 1st LV50 prize
Noon Stone Results 2008 . Post-race grub this week was a Chip Buttie, (or Chip Barm, depending on where you live) although not included in the price of race it was good value and well deserved I thought!

TF

No comments: