Sunday, March 23, 2008

Fiendsdale 7.5m/2500ft

Well I'm afraid to report that all good things have to come to an end. I failed miserably on this race, way off my target time of 1hr59:59 by a whopping 7 mins at least.

This was the first time for this race for me. For those of you who've done it before a new route was introduced in 2006. I hadn't had a chance to recce it, so maintaining some visual contact with the runners in front was going to be helpful. It was soon apparent that either my legs had lost some vital connection to my brain or the 5/6 who are normally in front of me hadn't bothered to turn up. A big gap opened, and just kept getting bigger. Going as slowly as I was, I bet the lead group were safely tucked up in their cars when then blizzard hit as I passed the 4th CP heading towards Fiendsdale Head. A bit of route choice between 6 & 7, saw me going a different way to everyone else. I managed to hit the trig point at Paddy's Pole spot on (phew!) but didn't stay long enough to get it's number though! A bit more down and up before the run in from Parlick summit to the finish at Fell Foot, way behind schedule.

My slow run, a detour to avoid a closed road and the football traffic meant I was unable to get to Rivington in time to cheer you all on as intended. So apologies for this, hope you all managed a better run than me today.

TF


Jules, Not to worry. If conditions were anything like we experienced on Saturday morning's round it's no wonder your time was slow. Have you done the "winner + %age calculation"? That might tell a happier story.

Ed

No comments: