Saturday, February 08, 2014

The Amble and its preparation

Wednesday Run

I'll go back to Wednesday which is my day off work - well at least my day off my full-time job. I arranged to have a decent run with EYJ so met up with him at about 9.10 at Wilderswood. We decided to head in the direction of Darwen Tower but EYJ need to be back for 11.45 so we knew that he'd have to turn back at some point or if possible, devise some route that would get him back and then I'd maybe do another 40 minutes or so.
Going well, chatting to people on the way, as you do. Headed over the reservoir wall at Belmont and up onto the Witton Weavers Way. The weather was great but I'd seen the forecast so knew it wouldn't last. At an appropriate time, EYJ set off back so he could home for midday whilst I continued. I thought I may as well head for Darwen Tower and return by the same route as I didn't fancy Great Hill, knowing how wet underfoot it would be. As I'd climbed onto the ridge, I caught a sidewind and the hail started. Determined as we all are, I continued to the Tower then turned round. By now I was into the full blast of wind and icy rain, making running somewhat difficult. Rather than head down the usual route towards Slipper Rowe, I turned on to the Tockholes Fell Race route and followed the route down to Sunnyhurst and thence into Sunnyhurst Woods. I found my way through to the Tockholes Road and made a route choice into Tockholes Woods which would give me less exposure to the elements than the road. It would also add more descent then ascent out and onto Witton Weavers Way. The return journey along the Way was quite tortuous as I was fully exposed to the gale force winds. This was probably the hardest conditions I've run in for some time. Some respite was gained through Belmont and the climb up the ramp to Winter Hill was in the lee of the wind until the top was neared. The run down the mast road was yet another battle into the wind, finally arriving back at 1.45 having completed some 20 miles - probably much more than was sensible in preparation for the Amble.

Shoe Disaster

I got round to washing my fell shoes on Thursday night in preparation for the event. It was then that I realised that the run had taken far more out of my shoes than it had of me. Basically the outside of the right shoe was falling apart along the full length of the footbed. Although cheap, I had been reasonably happy with More Mile Cheviots, with these being my second pair (they are comfortable with a decent grip), the quality was now apparent. As I was working from 9.30 till 8 on the Friday, due to most of the day being on a First Aid Course, the only option was to choose some new shoes form our range ... but we don't sell fell shoes. Okay I have another option, my New Balance trail shoes but I think they are only really suitable for up to 10k. Anyway I plumped for a new shoe that only arrived on the day I started with the company, less than 3 weeks ago, the Kalenji Kapteren XT4. I would describe them as a trail shoe on steroids and was planning to get a pair for my Pyrenean venture in August - but they are not a fell shoe.
Anyway I took the risk and went against my own advice of never racing in a new shoe until they have had some wear to ease them in. Even after a couple of weeks I got severely blistered a few years back when running Kentmere in newish Mudclaws.

Amble Day

Ed may have noticed that I parked at UP rather than trying to find somewhere near Amble HQ and got there around 7.40 to find quite a big queue for registration. Chatted with YJ, saw Andy, and even so we all got away on time. I ran for a while with NLN, then headed off to the Pike in the knowledge that she was limiting herself to the 16 miler. It is a great event, lots of people to chat to and eventually I reached Entwhistle Reservoir CP where EYJ was waiting, accompanied by Cleo. I mentioned who was running and that NLN was just doing the 16 mile route. Then she appears out of the blue. She failed to take the compulsory 15 minute meal break and shot off in the direction of the Strawbury Duck. After the regulation consumption of jam butties and cake, I set off in pursuit and joined her for the next few miles.
On the way towards the Tower I got ahead and followed a bloke with a dog rather than the other runners so ended up on the ridge running against the flow of runners. Cursing myself for the extra distance I was running, I found that, when reaching the Tower, I had actually overtaken a couple of runners and to my surprise was still ahead of NLN. The run back along the ridge was the first section where the strong wind hit you as we all fought to create any speed. The reception of John Crook at Slipper Rowe checkpoint was very welcome, as was the sheltered running through to the Belmont Road. Gradually the climb up to Great Hill became more strenuous as the wind hit. Expectation was that once past the shelter the downhill section would be much easier. How wrong could I be? The wind was now so strong that staying upright was a major achievement. Even on stretches after White Coppice the buffeting was quite strong.
I got back after six hours to find Albert, Tony V, Josie and FSS, tucking into hot pot and peas, with NLN following me about ten minutes later. YJ arrived about an hour later, still a respectable time considering the conditions. Andy had to retire at the mast due to injury.
Great photos from NLN.
Apologies for the War and Peace size of the report - no doubt TLoB will make some comment :-)

Not working next Saturday so looking at options. Also available most Wednesday mornings.

PS Did the shoes work? Not a single blister and no knee pain. I stayed upright with only one slight slip on sideways sloping mud. I'm very impressed with them.

2 comments:

TLoB said...

Tolstoy eat you heart out; t'Y has written an epic. Finally we have a cure for insomnia.

t'Yorkshireman said...

Have you got a moat yet? I feel really sorry for those millionaires that may have their riverside homes flooded. We'll have to set up a Live Aid type charity event for them, poor dears.