Sunday, February 02, 2014


Kendal Winter League

To help inject a bit of speed work into my winter schedule this season I've decided to have a go at the series of Sunday races organized by Helm Hill Runners (www.helmhill.co.uk). Results from previous years look like they'll average 40-60mins efforts for me.

So today I was at Birkrigg Common just south of Ulverston. Numbers have dropped off a little since the first race at Scout Scar, so I'm battling to keep clear of last place with a handful of runners.

What I'm enjoying about these races is the variety of the terrain, the low-key organization and the friendly competition. Todays run was on a free-draining limestone hill so no wet boggy trods but fast grassy paths and the better weather gave a chance to enjoy the view across to Morecombe Bay.

A couple of pics from today.


In the far distance you can see the U12's lined up ready for the off (that hill is tougher than it looked, although the little'uns made it look easy!)
 
Bit of congestion on the loop round the trig
 
The view out to sea. No map reading required for these races you just follow a series of little plastic flags (blue one in foreground)



Embedded image permalink
 
Someone's trace of the route, up the hill to the trig, straight over the top and down the other side to a stone circle (historic relic) and then up, down, along, up and finally back down the first hill.



Next week it's in the Howgill's, running up one of the hills you can see from the M6.

TF

1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Loks like a good little series, but would interfere with my Sunday lunch. May try one of the closer ones to see some new terrain when I sort out my racing schedule.