Sunday, February 16, 2014

Kendal Winter League - Barbondale

Having recovered from the previous weeks 'lurgy', but because of it I missed last Sunday's race at Fairmile, I was itching to get my size 4's on this weeks route. It sounded right up my street, steep and grassy!

The start/finish was just off the Barbon to Dent road, about 1 metre of flat and then straight up. As you can see from the photo below it was one of those fell-sides that got steeper the further up you went.



I've marked the race route on the map below. (There's a more detailed map on Helm Hill's website)


 
 
The green dot on the road marks the spot where I was parked and where the photo was taken from (looking towards the start/finish area).
 
 
They're not for the faint-hearted these races. Last week someone managed to break their leg, and this week a runner was being attended to as I was coming back down. He was helped down off the fell with his arm in a sling.
 
I'm managing to maintain my 100% record of beating one of the local ladies from Helm Hill, now 5 out of 5 races that I've attended. She's done 7 races. So it could get very interesting when they come to work out the final league placings. It's your best 7 out of 12 races. I can only manage a further 3 races, so it does mean I could have a 'duff' one, but the pressure's on!
 
TF
 
 


No comments: