Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tal Y Fan Sat 13th July (12.8k/786m)

Thought I'd dip my toes back in the racing scene this weekend. The original plan was for Holme Moss on the Sunday, but given the forecast decided against an AL in the heat.

Tal Y Fan fit the bill - half the distance and feet of climb.

Nearly thwarted by the bucket'n'spade brigade travelling along the A55, I arrived in the little village of Rowen with just 10mins to the off. No worries, all ready to run except putting on a bit of sun cream ( it doesn't mix well with leather car seats). Slight problem though, all the parking spaces already bagged. 8 mins later after a tour round the valley and a desparate look on face the local bobbie let me in past the 'road closed' sign.

A quick cursory slap of sun cream, grabbed my bum bag, buff, map and fiver and dashed to the start. Lots of applause heralded my arrival, and the departure of all the others! Grabbed a number off the registration team and started to put together my 'fell runner' look on the run.

In the process of securing on the number (always have pins on my club vest) and bum bag I managed to drop the buff without realising. I'd got the last runner in sight by the time I had realised, so wasn't going back for it.

A lovely route, with some good views out to the Gt Orme. I'd caught 2 runners by the summit of Tal Y Fan and a 3rd by about 2/3rds round. He was I observant enough to note I had a map and I gained a 'shadow'. I managed to shake him off when I disappeared into the bracken as we descended the last hill back to the village. Some kind soul had placed my buff on a wall waiting for my return, so grabbed it on my run in to the finish.

A big thank you to all the Marshalls out on the route, the supply of water was gratefully received. I'd love to go back and re-do it so that I can a) start at the same time as everyone else and b) take advantage of more usual summer weather - clag.

I now look a bit 'stripey' just to match my club vest, the perils of 'slap-dash' sun cream application!

TF

No comments: