Sunday, July 21, 2013

Kentmere Horseshoe Sun 21st July (19.8k/1006m)

Despite doing fell races for quite a few years now, this was my first go at this race. So I was assured a PB however slowly I ran, although I gave myself a tentative target of 3hrs.

I avoided last weeks problem and arrived with plenty of time to apply a generous dollop of suncream to all exposed skin and just as importantly start at the same time as everyone else.

I set off from the back and slowly picked my way past about 5/6 runners by the time we reached the main ridge. A nice cooling headwind stayed with us until we reached the half way point at High Street.

Fabulous views today, in between concentrating logging all the best lines for a day when the clag is down. Was loving the last descent until last bit of stoney path before Hallowbank, can imagine that being a bit lethal on a wet day.

Nice to be back at the finish and see there was some water left by the fast-uns. Just under the 3 hrs. Job done. Some good runs from the Horwich crew, including a spectacular debut by Christa. Results will be on Fellrunner website at some point this week.

I'm sure I'll be back to try and improve on my time. It's tempting to compare with Fairfield, but I'll leave that until I've done it in normal summer weather!

TF

No comments: